Thursday, January 29, 2015

God Laughs


It's an old Yiddish saying. Man plans and God laughs. I started this year with a renewed creative drive. I had plans, such plans, of all the wonderful new stuff I would make and learn. Wanting to be more painterly in my applique design, I signed up for a beginning watercolor class. With the new quilt project's design nearly finalized, I started pulling fabrics.

And then everything changed. Just like that. While it's too soon to go into details because we don't have any yet. We've been waiting for details any.day.now, for almost a month. No need to worry, it's nothing dire, just a big change, and one that will be very good when we've finally come through it.

So, here it is, my working plan for the new Block of the Month. I'm calling it "A Fine Romance" after one of my favorite songs, written by Dorothy Fields and Jerome Kern.

Some of you who have been around this old blog for a while might recognize the design as one briefly posted a couple of years ago. The piecing plan is pretty much the same, but the applique is all new. I've been wanting to do something all viney and curvy for a while, this project seemed to be the perfect place for it.

With all the uproar around me, it's been a challenge to make even the simplest decisions. For a while I was toying with having the flower colors be much more random, but I'm thinking now that I'm going to stay with the rhythm of the colors falling in their own place. What do you think? The colors in the design are just placeholders anyway, so maybe I'll just have to make a few and see what I like.


Yesterday I added a few more colors to the palette. It seemed to need a more lemony yellow and some citrus greens. Several of the fabrics are from Moda's Grunge line, including the light background. The soft gray for the background accent piecing is a Riley Blake Basic which has a very similar texture. It's taken me a while to settle on the gray. I wanted it to be there, but not there, you know. This gray has a little more presence than that, and I may end up using the back side, or even replace it. We'll see.

The timing for the release of the steps is totally up in the air, just like everything in my life right now. It may have to be two months between steps, or even catch as catch can until things are finally settled, which I understand could be any.day.now.



13 comments:

  1. Oh my, oh my, oh my! This is incredible. I will be patient, I will be patient. You are, by far and away, my favorite designer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, I love this quilt!!!!! I don't have a lot of tonal solids for the appliqués so this means I can go shopping for fabric, right? Hope you get details on your news soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's beautiful, Beth! Best of luck as you begin the new chapter in your life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am already drooling!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous9:37 PM

    She is beautiful indeed and we can be patient....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely stunning, no other way to describe it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dit is 'n pragtige kwilt!!! Die blomme-rand is lieflik!! Ek hou besonder baie daarvan!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous11:37 AM

    I am doing a happy dance. Thank you so much. I have been patient for several years hoping you would come out with another bom.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Do you remember the show that said "Patience, grasshopper" ? Well, that is how I must relate to this anticipation. Hope all is well for you and I am reaaaallllyyyyy excited about the new design!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous3:15 PM

    Standing in front of my stash with your quilt picture in my hand.

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOL - I went right to the post and viewed the BOM quilt and said: "This quilter has ripped off Beth's quilt designs" And then I see it it YOUR blog. Well, I at least know your signature designing when I see it. Gorgeous, Beth!

    ReplyDelete